home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This past weekend, God gave me another chance to do the right thing.  It's a chance I won't mess up. 

You see, this past weekend my youngest son and husband went to Rocky Point, Mexico on a short mission trip.  They went with a team of doctors and nurses to set up a weekend medical clinic.  Since they don't have any medical experience, they played with the children of patients.

They had a great time and got back in time for a Mother's Day celebration with our family.  On Sunday evening, while cleaning the kitchen, Robbie and I were talking about the trip.  My husband had already told me Robbie had a great time, and everyone was impressed with how hard he worked, and how personable he is.  (The proud momma in me loved that!)

Robbie had his back to me, washing a counter, and said quietly, "I think I may have found my calling."

My response Sunday night was VERY different than it would have been seven years ago.  Seven years ago, shamefully, I wouldn't have been very supportive.  ALL I would have thought about is how far away that might take the boy I love desperately.  I would have thrown in a few "motherly" cautions and warnings.  I might have expressed my concern not so much in words, but in held back affirmations.  You see, I've done that. 

Seven years ago, when his oldest brother wanted to go to Honduras at age 12, that's how I responded. He'd already gone to Mexico on a mission trip and it changed him.  He wanted to pursue mission work. I never said no, but he eventually dropped the subject. 

I'm ashamed.  I've repented with many tears for allowing my fears to hold back my son from obeying God's calling. I've lived with the "what ifs" for years.  What if I had done all I could to allow Josh to explore this potential calling?  What would it have done in Josh's heart?

Sunday night, Robbie got a very different response.  This time, I had to restrain my enthusiasm so he didn't feel embarrassed by my emotional response.  A second chance had just been placed in my lap, and I wasn't about to mess it up. 

"That's awesome!" I said, stopping cleaning and turning to face him.  "Have you thought about another trip you'd like to take? The church sponsors lots of trips."  (whoa back, Glynnis ... I could feel myself getting excited)

"I'd like to go back to Mexico."

"What about Uganda or Honduras?"  I suggested. (Hint, hint ... I REALLY wasn't going to mess it up.)

"I think I'd like to try Mexico again before taking a bigger trip".  (Well ... he's still got a bit of me in him)

"Robbie,"  I said, making sure he saw the confidence and pride in my eyes.  "We will do what it takes to allow you to go on any mission trip you want."

"Thanks Mom"

And in my heart I heard Someone say, "Thanks Glynnis"

I smiled. No, thank You Lord for a second chance.


My friend, if you are the mother of younger children, please remember my story.  From one mom to another. We can help each other raise children who will be bold for God, by saying "yes" when God plants something in their hearts, and then turning to each other and expressing our fears.  If you struggle with this, I know your pain.  But I also know that regret and disobedience is worse. 

If you ever need some encouragement to say "yes" to the dreams God places in your child's heart - I'm here.  Drop me a note and I'll pray for you. 

In His Love,
Glynnis

15 comments:

Debrinconcita said...

What a wonderful MOTHER you are, knowing that he will be away from you, to TRUST in God's calling for your SON. I wished & hope to be as strong when I am entrusted with my son's destiny's. I have 4 sons. ALL 2 are in college now, I has left home for one year. But, he comes back periodically, I hope you & your family have many Blessing's in the future also.

Kendra Cameron-Jarvis said...

How difficult that must have been. Looking at my precious three year old, I know in the future if she ever expresses the desire to be a missionary I would be filled with both pride and fear.

Kudos to you and your husband for raising such a Godly man.

Blessings,
Kendra
www.abusywomanslife.com

Cindy Price said...

I just finished reading your beautiful words in "Off Season Training" and wanted to share (hopefully briefly, a bit of my story. Several years ago I fell and after undergoing a preliminary series of tests in the Emergency Room, was told that I have a brain tumor. What?? How could this happen? After my husband and I got the news my first thought was of my children. My son was old enough that if I were to die, he would remember me. My daughter, what would she remember?
My parents were at my house caring for my children while my husband took me to the ER so they were the first to be told. We made the decision to not tell our children because they were so young.
Trying to do something "brainless" to keep my mind from exploding from the unknown, I opened a package that had been delivered while my husband and I were away. It was our home school curriculum. I was excited but apprehensive as this was a whole other unknown my husband and I was embarking on. I opened one of the books and it fell to a page with a highlighted section in the lower right hand corner where I found my lifeline. "All things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." From that moment on Romans 8:28 became my lifeline. I had total peace in knowing that, while I can't know the future, my Father does.
The next three months of waiting for test results were the most peaceful of my life. Numerous people came to me with beautiful words of encouragement and I was able to say in complete honesty that I was not worried about any possible outcome. My Lord had and has me in His hands.
Now, eight years later, the Lord has given me a wonderful witnessing tool in what I have come to call my "extra brain."

Alisha said...

I am actually posting this for your 5/11/11 word (Off Season Training). Time and time again my husband reminds me that I need to read my word. In fact there was a time a few years back where I was on fire. Now I get in a proverb a day, an occasional read & devotional. I know I need to meditate on His word day and night but I would appreciate prayer to do it. I won't bore you with the details of my busy schedule but I even find myself falling asleep while praying because I'm so tired. The amazing thing is that when I am faithful I see God answer my prayers. So what's stopping me? I haven't even exercised lately. Well thank you for the ear & I will pray that I get back into God's word daily so I might be prepared for those 'In Season' times. Blessings & Shalom

Alisha said...

I am actually posting this for your 5/11/11 word (Off Season Training). Time and time again my husband reminds me that I need to read my word. In fact there was a time a few years back where I was on fire. Now I get in a proverb a day, an occasional read & devotional. I know I need to meditate on His word day and night but I would appreciate prayer to do it. I won't bore you with the details of my busy schedule but I even find myself falling asleep while praying because I'm so tired. The amazing thing is that when I am faithful I see God answer my prayers. So what's stopping me? I haven't even exercised lately. Well thank you for the ear & I will pray that I get back into God's word daily so I might be prepared for those 'In Season' times. Blessings & Shalom

MommyTeeJay said...

I am posting this from the P31 daily devotion. I have battled the on-again off-again Christian mindset for a while. About a month ago...I decided that I need Jesus ALL THE TIME! My life was so empty. I attended church, but didn't let the Word seep. I said my prayers, but not with all my heart. Even though I am going through an 'up' period, I have decided to start EACH day by waking up before my kids, doing my devotion and reading God's Word. I have never felt better. I do want to prepare myself for all things that come my way. I love the verse in Proverbs that says "Blessed are the pure at heart, for they will see the face of God." I want to see His face every single day! I CHOOSE to see His face in the good times and the bad! Thanks for your answering your calling and writing the devotion this morning! Thanks also for giving someone the chance to the giveaway!

Lindsy said...

I am with Cindy, Romans 8:28 is my lifeline in times of trouble in my life.

Anonymous said...

Truth I've learned from the bible that keeps me strong in all seasons: hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

elizabethrkent said...

“Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:2-4

My little girl, 18 mo. at the time, saw an angel seven days before my mom died when we got home from the hospital one day. We were in the dark in the garage and I knew for sure what that angel was coming to say to us. It was an indescribable feeling. As soon as my Mom died, a sweet friend sent me this verse...
"Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared." (Exodus 23:20)

I think about this a lot still and use this as a reminder that although sometimes I think Mommy knows best, but God really does knows best. And He really does speak to my baby. She has an open heart and mind I pray she will always have & I will have too as she grows up.

noreena said...

God bless you its not easy to surrender ones children. eight years ago God asked me to do just that .my only son of 23yrs mark went into the presence of jesus .6weeks before he went home the lord asked me to give him back to him .its by far the hardest thing ive been called to do but doesnt come near what jesus has done for us .the night before he went home God gave me 1 corinthians 15 v55 -58 . this truth has been my rock o death were is your victory ? o death were is your sting ? praise God i will one day see my boy again . thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our lord jesus christ . God bless you .

Sally said...

I posting my comment from the P31 devotion this morning. My truth from the Bible that I hold on to (sometimes CLING desperately to) is from Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you. Plans not to harm you but to give you hope and a future." It was not until my life turned upside down that I truly started to depend on God for my strength day in and day out. The first 30-60 minutes of my day are spent with my Bible, my journal and my favorite on-line devotions. Thank you!

JanetMS said...

posting this reply to your 5/11 post
"Whoever wants to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do right; let him seek peace and pursue it.For the eyes of the Lord are on the
righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." (1 Pet. 3:10-12)
I know that I love God and desire His righteousness. I know that is given freely to me, but there are things I must do to make that life fruitful

Grace Marie said...

In response to your blog post, I want to say that I feel identified with your son's feelings because in addition to other ministries that God has been using me in during the past couple of years. I'm 19 years old and had my first missions experience last Summer, and plan to go for my second this Summer, God willing. Sadly I feel more identified with your oldest son, because I have had a similar response from my mother towards the subject of missions and other ministries. Though it makes me sad that I haven't had the support that you showed towards your younger son, it is comforting to know that you allowed the Lord to work through your motherly fears, and see His will, which goes far beyond that. I pray that my parents will someday understand when God calls me to do something, and concentrate themselves on supporting me through prayer, rather than pointing out why I am not capable or mature enough.

In addition to my response I want to thank you for being an instrument from God through your P31 Devotionals and your blog.
God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Aloha GLynnis!

You are a BReath of Fresh Air!
Being asked not to talk about Jesus at work...has been a challenge for to let Him shine trough my life...A Big Smile-is my NEW way of displaying His Love @ work!!!-Love and Mahalo~Wendy-Livin Big for JEsus in Hawaii!

Danielle said...

Oh, thank you for posting something so vulnerable! I really needed to hear this tonight.

My husband has gone on three mission trips in the last year and a half--one that I got to join him on in March of this year. My daughter is saying that she wants to go to the Ukraine in September of this year. I am all for it... but(I hate that word!) all I can still see is the money we owe from our March trip.

I do ask that you pray that God will boost my faith! If my daughter is truly meant to go--and me along with her, cause I'd HAVE to--God will provide. I don't need to see it right here and right now. I just need to (believe).